Pumpkin & Kale salad with Tigernuts
Time for a summer super salad. The sweet and nutty taste of Tigernuts makes the tiny tubers a perfect crunchy topping for a salad. In this recipe, Tigernuts garnish a salad made from pumpkin, kale and bacon, meaning each bite has a range of sweet, salty, spicy, and pleasantly bitter flavors. Yummo.
- 1 baby pumpkin halved and seeded
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bunch curly kale, ribs removed, leaves torn into small pieces
- 1/3 cup tiger nuts, chopped (tigernuts can also be purchased diced)
- 2 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees celsius.
- Slice the pumpkin into 1.5 cm thick crescents. Toss them in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, plus the garlic, red pepper flakes and smoked paprika.
- Spread out the pumpkin on a baking sheet in a single layer. Lightly salt. Roast for 25-45 minutes, or until tender and golden. Flip the squash once while it cooks.
- Toss the kale with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Massage the oil into the leaves for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and slide the pumpkin slices off. Spread the kale out on the hot baking sheet and cook for 3 minutes, just until it begins to wilt.
- On a platter or in a large bowl, combine the kale and pumpkin. Garnish with Tigernuts and bacon.
Primal wellness coach Mark Sisson has kindly shared this recipe with us. He is the author of The Primal Blueprint and founder of website Marks Daily Apple, where he investigates and shares all things diet and nutrition, fitness, weight loss, primal lifestyle and personal improvement. You can find the original recipe here.
Love TFF xx